Guestbook
 
The San Juan de Capistrano Pueblo are so called because they are constructed at low level
and nestle into the hills as opposed to being part of a tall concrete tower block. The view from
the large terrace is over San Juan de Capistrano, Nerja and the sea. The terrace also has
outdoor lights so that you can relax and have that early cocktail on the terrace.
       
 
Nerja History

Nerja was inhabited more than 25,000 years ago during the first stages of the early Palaeolithic, as the remains, paintings and objects found in the Caves of Nerja confirm. The first of the important cultures to settle in this land was the Phoenicians, approximately around the year 800-1000 BC. The settlement of Sexifirmio (Frigiliana), Sexi (Almuñécar), Gadir (Cádiz) and Malaka (Málaga) was founded, beginning the commercial route that they called 'Bástulo-fenicia'.
After approximately 500 years of settlement, the Greeks were the next to hold the commercial emporium and colonization. Around the year 550 BC the Carthaginians arrived to the coast and took military power by sea and land. The Carthaginian rule ended with the Roman invasion in the year 200 BC. After the decay of the Roman Empire, a short period of Visigoth rule was established in the Peninsula.At the beginning of the VII century, the Arabs invaded Spain, penetrating far into the coasts of Málaga. After a century of riots and rebellion, a long period of peace was inaugurated by the Cordovan Caliphate subjection.
The Town was given the names of Narija, Naricha, Narixa or Nerexa , names that lead to the now-a-day 'Nerja'. Its name means 'fountain of abundant water'. In those times it was a small town surrounded by orchards and fed by a river (Chillar), navigable in its mouth. It was famous for its factories of tissues, and silky coloured drapery that was exported as far as Damascus. After eight centuries of rule and numerous battles and riots, Isabella and Ferdinand the Catholic expelled the Arabs and repopulated the conquered land.

To the west of the Balcón de Europa (a stronghold formerly known as 'La Batería') another stronghold was founded called 'La Torre de los Guardas', situated above 'La Cala del Salón', and before this one another stronghold had been built to protect the battered people from the ravages of pirates from Northern Africa, especially Algeria. This stronghold was given the name of 'Castillo Alto' and existed until the year 1569. Around the year 1505 the building of housing near 'La Torre de los Guardas' began and thus the new site of the old town was begun. The riots of the Moors (Muslims converted into Christianity) were cut off and a new and long period of peace reigned. Around the year 1588 the construction of the first sugar factory ('Ingenio') in the riverbeds of the Chillar started. The crop of the sugar cane was enforced, the waters of the river channelled and new lots of land made available.
At the beginning of the XIX century the town had a population of about 7,500 inhabitants, thanks to a progressive development that encouraged the exportation of wines, raisins, wood, sugar etc. Still to come were bloody episodes at the beginning of XIX century with the French Revolution and with the Spanish Civil War in the middle of the XX century. After this last episode normality begins to be re-established in Nerja little by little, reclaiming a place among the coastal towns. A new era of agriculture and farming exploitation begins with the creation of cooperative communities and the industry progresses with the production of sugar, sugar cane honey and cannery.
Years later Nerja would boast one of the most surprising tourist developments on the Costa del Sol, which was undoubtedly helped by the discovery of the Caves of Nerja in 1957. During the last two decades Nerja has been consolidated as a top quality tourist resource of international recognition.